The Lost Art of Crack and Crevice (And German Roaches)
German cockroaches (blatellagermanica)can be ahugely problematic pest for any residential or commercial customer. Thanks to their small size, they often hang about in crevices and usually prefer warm and wet conditions.
One of the most common questions we get at Agserv is – “How can I control those German roaches, especially when we hose the floors down every night?!”
Treating German Roaches
The most effective and only way to treat German cockroach infestations is to conduct a thorough crack and crevice treatment. If you’re thinking of using residual sprays or simply spraying skirting and under benches, it won’t be enough to eradiate the entire roach colony.
You can perform crack and crevice treatments using:
· Crack and crevice aerosol sprays
· Puffers with dusts
· A reliable roach gel
You’ll also need a strong torch, a screwdriver, good eyesight and a willingness to get down on your knees!
Crack and Crevice Treatments
Step 1. Find the Infestations
- The first step is to locate the infestation; this will require a detailed inspection. Make sure you keep the lights off (since it can scare the roaches away) and use your torch instead
- You’ll need to get down low and search under benches, in all cracks and crevices and in the motors of various appliances, like fridges
- You should also check under any equipment covers and also in the legs and wheels of equipment
- Computers, office equipment, phones and any electrical devices will also need to be inspected – remember, German roaches are tiny and can infest electrical equipment easily
- Lastly, check all cupboards thoroughly; treating the hinges in this case won’t suffice – you’ll need to remove all contents,check the whole cupboard and search for any cracks, crevices or hard-to-get-to spots
Step 2. Treatment
- Apply the aerosols, gels and dusts to all infestations you find, including cracks and crevices, equipment motors, covers, legs and wheels and electrical equipment
- Keep in mind that you may need to perform more than one treatment or application over time to get rid of the entire infestation (depending on how extensive the problem is)
As always, make sure you communicate all information about the problem and all steps throughout the treatment process with your customer. This will help them understand exactly what they are dealing with and what outcomes to expect.
Looking for a reliable product for your next Crack and Crevice job?
Agserv can help you choose a spray, gel or dust that will maximise the success of your treatment!