RODENT CONTROL SOLUTIONS
Manager – Research & Development
It is this time of the year when pest managers start to think about a rodent season that will soon be in full swing. So it is now worth a close look at some reminder tools that will help you to be a successful pest manager in what appears to be busy rodent season coming our way. There are more than 50 native rodent species in Australia that it is illegal to kill so it is important to be able to identify the 3 most important pest species namely Roof rat, Norway rat and House mouse. Any attempt to manage these rodent pests must involve an understanding of their biology and behaviour in implementing a control program. An anticoagulant-based rodenticide continues to be the mainstay of rodent control. These are especially effective at providing long-lasting solutions to persistent rodent problems when supplemented by a housekeeping program which includes items such as:
• Vegetation control, by use of herbicides or manual reduction.
• Harbourage removal, by implementation of a clean-up of stored items inside or externally.
• Exclusion, by closing entry holes or other building modification to deny entry.
• Sanitation, by ensuring no accumulation of spilled food / feed items occurs in production or storage areas of premises.
PCT International manufactures and markets three main rodenticides.
The choice of which rodenticide should form part of the risk assessment, considering where the key activity is on a site and looking at the potential exposure to both humans and non-target species.
1. FIRST FORMULA – developed and manufactured by PCT in Australia and features a unique blend of high grade food products with the proven efficiency of a 2nd generation rodenticide with 0.05g/kg brodifacoum in a weather resistant wax block. FIRST FORMULA contains Bitrex a powerful bittering agent to reduce the likelihood of accidental consumption. Average weight of the blocks is 15grams and come in either a 2.4kg or 8kg plastic pail.One feed – fast acting and controls species resistant to Warfarin.
2. PCT PRO FORMULA Blocks Rodenticide is anall weather 2nd generation rodenticide also developed and manufactured by PCT in Australia. Itis a palatable all-purpose wax based rodenticide formulation based on the advanced anticoagulant, 0.05g/kg Difenacoum. Difenacoum is equally effective against rats and mice, including strains resistant to some other anticoagulants. Only a single feed is needed for rodent mortality that generally occurs 4-10 days after consuming the bait. PRO FORMULA offers an additional benefit in containing a distinctive purple dye which gives positive identification of the active. It also contains Bitrex to help prevent accidental human ingestion. Difenacoum is slightly less aggressive against non-target species than most other rodenticides in use. It has a lower risk profile against both primary and secondary poisoning of non-target species. However, with any rodenticide DO NOT place baits in locations that are accessible to domestic animals, livestock, birds or other animals. PCT Pro Formula Blocksare available in 2.4Kg plastic pail or 8Kg plastic pail.
3. RAMIK Rodenticide – Ramik contains 0.05g/kg Diphacinone, and is extremely effective as a first generation anticoagulant. RAMIK Green all weather rodenticide uses food processing technology to produce a highly palatable fish flavoured and food quality grain mix, higher acceptability bait that retains its effectiveness in a long lasting wax free, nugget form. Rodent mortality from Diphacinone may occur within 5-7 days and this prevents bait shyness from occurring. RAMIK is available in distinctive 10kg green pail and as a box of 6 x 50g ready-to-use sachets.